Anne Harvey Gross, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
BiographyMy career as a nurse leader spans two decades focusing on clinical practice innovation, improvement and patient safety. My work has been a balance of clinical operations leadership and clinical nursing practice leadership with more concentrated focus in recent years on the latter. Overseeing and advancing the practice of nursing in a variety of clinical settings locally, nationally and internationally has resulted in interventions to improve the quality of life for patients, families and nurses who care for them. My research focus is on quality of life issues in patients with ovarian cancer. I lecture annually at Boston College and University of Massachusetts, Boston on health policy issues in oncology and the role of the oncology nurse in a multidisciplinary team. As a nurse executive, I believe my strength lies in my ability to understand the practice environment, the issues facing clinical nurses and the impact they have on patients and to represent the profession and practice of nursing in multidisciplinary clinical groups. I've been a bike rider in the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge since 2003, raising $28,000 for Dana-Farber in the process.
Education and Training
Maryville College, BA, 1975
St. Louis University, BS, 1976
Boston College, MS, 1990
UMass Boston, PhD, 2010
Certified Nursing Administration, Advanced, 2010
Certified Ambulatory Care Nursing, 2010
- Book Award for Academic Excellence (GPA 3.90), University of Massachusetts, Boston, 2010
- Center for Patient Safety, People's Choice Award: Implementing Team Training in an Ambulatory Setting, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 2010
- Health Innovation Award: Application of Team Training in Outpatient Oncology, The Boston Business Journal, 2010
- Excellence in Health Policy and Advocacy Award, The Oncology Nursing Society, 2009
- Health Innovation Award: Drug Desensitization, Boston Business Journal, 2009
- Partners in Excellence Award: Institute of Safe Medication Practice Taskforce, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 2009
- Induction:Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society, 2007
- Partners in Excellence Award: New Patient Access, Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center, 2006
- Partners in Excellence Award: Ambulatory to Inpatient Chemotherapy Pathway Initiative, Dana-Farber Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center, 2005
- Partners in Excellence Award: Chemotherapy Desensitization Initiative, Partners Healthcare, 2005
- Leadership Award, Department of Nursing & Patient Care Services, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 2004
- Innovation Award: Open Access Program, National Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems, 2001
- Reid Ponte, P. Gross, A., Galante, A., Glazer, G. Using an Executive Coach to Increase Leadership Effectiveness. Journal of Nursing Administration. 36(6):319-324, June 2006.
- Weingart, S., Cleary, A., Seger, A., Eng, T., Saadeh, M., Gross, A., Shulman, L. Medication Reconciliation in Ambulatory Oncology. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. December, 2007, 33(12).
- Reid Ponte P., Glazer G., Dann E., McCollum K., Gross A., Tyrrell R., Branowicki P., Noga P., Winfrey M., Cooley M., Saint-Eloi S., Hayes C., Nicholas P., Washington D. The Power of Professional Nursing Practice - An Essential Element of Patient and Family Centered Care. The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, November, 2007.
- Reid Ponte, P., Gross, A., Winer, E., Connaughton, M., Hassinger, J. Implementing a multidisciplinary governance model in a comprehensive cancer center. Oncology Nursing Forum, May, 2007.
- Simchowitz, B., Shiman, L., Spencer, J., Brouillard, D., Gross, A., O’Connor, M., Weingart, S. Perceptions and Experiences of Patients Receiving Oral Chemotherapy. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 14(4): 447-453, August, 2010.
- Reid Ponte, P., Gross, A., Milliman-Richard, Y., and Lacey, K. (2011). Interdisciplinary Team Work and Collaboration: An Essential Element of a Positive Practice Environment. Annual Review of Nursing Research. Springer Publishing Company, New York, NY.