Patricia Reid Ponte, RN, DNSc, FAAN, NEA-BC
Executive Director, Oncology Nursing and Clinical Services, Brigham and Women's Hospital
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
BiographyI am the Senior Vice President for Patient Care Services and Chief Nurse at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Executive Director of Oncology Nursing and Clinical Services at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. I've held this position since 2001. Prior to being at the Dana-Farber and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, I held nursing leadership roles at the Massachusetts General Hospital and the Tufts New England Medical Center Hospital. I have been professionally active within the local, national, and international communities for over thirty years in both the service and academic sectors. My areas of scholarly interest include patient- and family-centered care, quality improvement, patient safety, positive practice environments, and interdisciplinary leadership. I teach graduate level courses in health care quality, am a past president of Massachusetts Organization of Nurse Executive and am currently the chair of the ANCC Magnet Commission. I am an active member in the American Academy of Nursing, the Oncology Nursing Society, and the American Organization of Nurse Executives. I am co-director of the Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center-UMass Boston College of Nursing and Health Sciences BSN-to-PhD Accelerated Program in Oncology and Health Disparities.
Education and Training
UMass Amherst, BSN, 1976
Boston University, MS, Medical Surgical Clinical Specialist, 1979
Boston University, DNSc, Nursing Administration, 1989
Certified Nursing Administration, Advanced
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Upsilon Lambda, MGH Institute of Health Professions, 2008
- Sprit of Nursing Award, UMass Boston, 2008
- Distinguished Alumni Award, UMass Amherst Alumni Association, 2006
- McKesson Award, AONE Institute for Patient Care Research and Education, 2005
- Nursing Leadership Finalist Award, Nursing Spectrum , 2005
- Inducted as Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2004
- Mary B. Conceison Award, Massachusetts Organization of Nurse Executives, 2004
- Lilly Kravitz Nursing Research Award, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 1999
- Partners in Excellence Award, Partners Healthcare, 1998, 2001, 2005, 2006
- Distinguished Alumni of the Year, UMass Amherst School of Nursing, 1996
- Preceptor Appreciation Award, Northeastern University, 1996
- Reid Ponte, P. (1992). Primary Nurse’s Empathy Skills and Distress Level of Primary Patients. Cancer Nursing. 15(4); 283-292.
- Reid Ponte, P. and Capodilupo, T. (1992). Restructuring the Role of the Nursing Supervisor: A Reduction and Shifting of Spending. Nursing Management. 23(1); 34-36, 38.
- Reid Ponte, P. and Barrett, C. (1992). Professional Issues Forum: A Method of Professional Development. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 23(1); 34-37.
- Herdman, H, Hanley, D. and Reid Ponte, P. (1993). Challenge to Nurse Educators: A Synthesis of Practice and Research. Journal of Nursing Staff Development. 9(6); 290-292.
- Reid Ponte, P. (1993). Enabling Professional Nursing Staff to Conduct Research. Journal of Nursing Administration. 23(9); 34, 37.
- Reid Ponte, P., Higgin, J., James, J., Fay, M. and Madden, M. (1993). Development Needs of Advance Practice Nurses in a Managed Care Environment. Journal of Nursing Administration. 23(11); 13-19.
- Higgins, J.M., Reid Ponte, P., James, J.R., Fay, M. and Madden, M.J. (1994). Restructuring the CNS Role for a Managed Care Environment. Clinical Nurse Specialist Journal. 8(3); 163-166.
- Madden, M. and Reid Ponte, P. (1994). Advance Practice Roles in a Managed Care Environment. Journal of Nursing Administration. 24(1); 56-62.
- Robins, E.V., Miller, K., Kraiger, L. and Reid Ponte, P. (1995). A Strategy for Responding to Training Needs of Nursing Staff in a New Cardiac-Neurology ICU. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 26(3):123-128.
- Reid Ponte, P., Fay, M., Doyle, M., Zizzi, L., Brown, P. and Perron, J. (1998). Factors Leading to a Strike Vote and Strategies for Re-establishing Relationships. Journal of Nursing Administration. 28(2); 35-43.
- Connors, M., Reid Ponte, P. and Conway, J. (2002). Multidisciplinary Approaches to Patient Safety. Nursing Clinics of North America. 14(4); 359-367.
- Reid Ponte, P., Branowicki, P., Somerville, J., Anderson, D.J., Ives Erickson, J., Kruger, N., Sporing, E., Connaughton, M. and Conlin, G. (2003). Collaboration among Nurse Executives in Complex Environments: Fostering Administrative Best Practice. Journal of Nursing Administration. 33 (11); 596-602.
- Reid Ponte, P., Conlin, G., Conway, J., Grant, S., Medeiros, C., Nies, J., Shulman, L., Branowicki, P. and Conley, K. (2003). Making Patient-Centered Care Come Alive: Achieving Full Integration of the Patient’s Perspective. The Journal of Nursing Administration. 33(2); 82-90.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2004) Nurse-Physician Co-Leadership: A Model of Interdisciplinary Practice Governance. Journal of Nursing Administration. 34(11); 481-484.
- Reid Ponte, P. and Saint-Eloi, S. (2004) Aspiring Nurse Leaders: A Framework for Action. Nurse Leader. 2(9); 4-5, 12-13.
- Reid Ponte, P., Connor, M., DeMarco, R. and Price, J. (2004) Linking Patient and Family-Centered Care and Patient Safety: The Next Leap. Nursing Economics. 22(4); 211-215.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2004). The American Healthcare System at a Crossroads. The AONE--Perspectives on the Nursing Shortage: A Blueprint for Action. Journal of On Line Issues in Nursing. 9(2). www.nursingworld.org/ojin/topic24/tpc24_2.htm
- Reid Ponte, P., DeMarco, R. Kruger, N. Hanley, D. and Conlin, G. (2004) Re-shaping the Practice Environment: The Importance of Coherence. Journal of Nursing Administration. 34(4); 173-179.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2005) Nursing: Strengthening a Critical Hospital Resource. Futurescan: Healthcare Trends and Implications: 2006-2011. p37-40.
- Hayes, C., Reid Ponte, P., Coakley, A., Stanghellini, E., Gross, A., Perryman, S., Hanley, D., Hickey, N. and Somerville, J. (2005) Retaining Oncology Nurses—Strategies for Today’s Nurse Leaders. Oncology Nursing Forum. 32(6); 1087-1090.
- Reid Ponte, P., Hayes, C., Coakley, A., Stanghellini, E., Gross, A., Perryman, S., Hanley, D., Hickey, N. and Somerville, J. (2005) Partnering with Schools of Nursing: An Effective Recruitment Strategy. Oncology Nursing Forum. 32(5); 901-906.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2005) Spotlight on Safety and Nursing Leadership—The McKesson Keeping Patients Safe Award. Nurse Leader. December issue.
- Reid Ponte, P., Moore, K., Crowley Ganzer, C., Madigan, J. and Gale, S. (2005) A Journey towards Influencing Practice Environments in Massachusetts Hospitals: Patients First: Continuing the Commitment to Safe Care. Nurse Leader . 3(4); 17-20.
- Reid Ponte, P. and Conlin, G. (2005). Managing Time: The Path to High Self Performance. B. Cherry & S. Jacob (eds). Contemporary Nursing:Issues, Trends & Management. (3rd edition). Mosby, St. Louis, MO, p 536-559.
- Reid Ponte, P., Gross, A.H., Winer, E., Connaughton, M.J. and Hassinger, J. (2006). Implementing an Interdisciplinary Governance Model in a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2006) Effective Partnerships – A Nurse Leader Imperative. Nurse Leader. August issue.
- Reid Ponte, P., Gross, A., Gallante, A. and Glazer, G. (2006) Using an executive coach to increase leadership effectiveness. Journal of Nursing Administration. 36(6); 1-6.
- Bauer-Wu, S., Epshtein A. and Reid Ponte, P. (2006) Promoting Excellence in Nursing Research and Scholarship in the Clinical Setting. Journal of Nursing Administration. May. 36(5)
- Reid Ponte, P., Glazer, G., Dann, E., McCollum, K., Gross, A., Tyrrell, R., Branowicki, P., Noga, P., Winfrey, M., Cooley, M., Saint-Eloi, S., Hayes, C., Nicolas, P.K. and Washington, D. (2007). The Power of Professional Nursing Practice—An Essential Element of Patient and Family-Centered Care. The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. January 31, 2007 issue. www.nursingworld.org/ojin/topic32/tpc32_3.htm
- Connor, M.C., Duncombe, D., Barclay, E., Bartel, S., Borden, C., Gross, E., Miller, C. and Reid Ponte, P. (2007). Creating a Fair and Just Culture: One Institution’s Path Towards Organizational Change. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety.
- Weingart, S., Price, J., Duncombe, D., Connor, M., Conley, K., Bierer, B. and Reid Ponte, P. (2007) Patient-Reported Safety and Quality of Care in Outpatient Oncology. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety.
- Conway, J., Nathan, D., Benz, E., Shulman, L., Sallan, S., Reid Ponte, P., Bartel, S., Connor, M., Puhy, D. and Weingart, S. (2007) Key Learning from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute’s Ten-Year Patient Safety Journey. ASCO Educational Book at the 41st ASCO Annual Meeting.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2007). Contemporary Issues in The Health Care Workplace. Diana Mason, Judith Leavitt, Mary Chaffee (eds). Policy and Politics in Nursing and Health Care (5th edition). W.B. Saunders, St. Louis, MO, p 449-460.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2008). Personal. Adams Thompson L and O’Neil E.H (eds). The Nurse Executive: The Four Principles of Management. Springer Publishing Company, NY, p 217-241.
- Reid Ponte, P. and Peterson, K. (2008). A Patient- and Family-Centered Care Model Paves the Way for a Culture of Quality and Safety. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America. Elsevier Inc, St. Louis, MO, p. 451-464.
- Wolf, G., Triolo P., and Reid Ponte, P (2008). Magnet Recognition Program: The Next Generation. The Journal of Nursing Administration. April 2008 issue.
- Glazer, G., Alexandre, C., and Reid Ponte, P (2008). Partnership or Collaboration: Words Matter. The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. March 2008 issue.
- Weingart S., Price, J., Duncombe D., Connor M., Conley K., Conlin G., Sullivan A., Powell M., Reid Ponte P., Bierer B (2009). Enhancing Safety Reporting in Adult Ambulatory Oncology with a Clinician Champion: A Practice Innovation. Journal of Nursing Care Quality 2009; 24(3): 203-10.
- Buswell, L., Reid Ponte, P and Shulman, L (2009). Provider Practice Models in Ambulatory Oncology Practice: Analysis of Productivity, Revenue, and Provider and Patient Satisfaction. Clinical Journal of Oncology Practice. Vol. 5, Issue 4, July 2009.
- Glazer, G., Reid Ponte, P., Stuart-Shor, E., and Cooley, M. (2009). The Power of Partnership – Addressing the Faculty Shortage, Minority Underrepresentation in Nursing, and Cancer Health Disparities through and Academic-Service Partnership. Nursing Outlook. Vol. 57, Issue 3, p. 123-131, May 2009.
- Buswell, L., and Reid Ponte, P. (2011). Book Review: Using Electronic Health Records to Transform Care Delivery. Journal of Nursing Administration. 41(4); 159-161.
- Reid Ponte, P., Gross, A., Milliman-Richard, Y., and Lacey, K. (2011). Interdisciplinary Team Work and Collaboration: An Essential Element of a Positive Practice Environment. Annual Review of Nursing Research. Springer Publishing Company, New York, NY.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2011) Interdisciplinary Leadership in the Oncology Service Line. Change Leadership in Nursing: How Change Occurs in a Complex Hospital System – Brigham and Women’s Hospital Nurses Tell Their Story. M. Hickey & P. Beck Kritek (eds.) Springer Publishing Company, New York, NY.
- Reid Ponte, P. (2011). Advancing a Culture of Interdisciplinary Collaboration and Teamwork. M. Gullatte (ed.) Nursing Management: Principles and Practice (2nd Edition). Oncology Nursing Society, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Reid Ponte, P., Creta, A., and Joy, C. (2011). Exemplary Professional Practice. Magnet: The Next Generation – Nurses Making the Difference. American Nurses Credentialing Center, Silver Spring, MD.