Karen A. Schulte, MSN, ANP-BC, OCN
Clinical Trials, Oral Chemotherapy Adherence
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
BiographyI have been a nurse at Dana-Farber since 1991, the same year that I obtained my OCN certification. I have more than 20 years of experience caring for oncology patients. I am a member of the Oncology Nursing Society as well as a member of the local Boston Chapter. I am also a member of the Massachusetts Organization of Nurse Executives. Currently, I am a co-chair of the Nursing Council – DFCI’s shared governance decision making body – and also a co-chair of the Dana Farber/MGH/BWH Nursing Council. I am passionate about oncology nursing and the future of cancer care. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, kayaking, running and boating.
Education and Training
Northeastern University, BSN, 1988
Boston College, Connell Graduate School of Nursing, MSN, 2007
Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN), 1991
- Oncology Nursing Society Scholarship, 2006
- Tom Kloss Leadership Award, 2004
- Partners in Excellence Award, 1997
- Vierra, D., Toomey-Matthews, E., Maloof, D., Schulte, K., Lipshires, K., (2006). Computerized Order Entry; A Dynamic Initiative for Nursing with Patients on a Clinical Trial [Abstract]. Poster Presentation at the 31st ONS Congress, Boston, MA 2006.
- Schulte, K. (2006). How to Effectively Promote Care Across the Continuum through Role Development in the Program.Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 12, 2.
- Schulte, K. (2006). The Complex Care Challenge of Transplant Patients and Families: How to Effectively Promote Care Across the Continuum Through Role Development in the Program [Abstract]. Poster Presentation at the BMT Tandem Meeting, Honolulu, HI, February 2006
- Schulte, K. (2007) Narrative Used to Demonstrate Synergy Model, Synergy: The Unique Relationship Between Nurses and Patients, Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Schulte, K. Assessment of Current Nursing Practice Associated with Oral Chemotherapy Adherence, at the 33rd Annual ONS Congress, Philadelphia, PA 2008