Debra LaFrankie, RN, OCN
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
I have been an Oncology nurse since 1986, when I began my career as an Assistant Nurse Manager of Oncology at St. Vincent Hospital in Worcester, Massachusetts. I came to Dana-Farber in 1988 as an inpatient nurse caring for patients with hematologic malignancies, including those who were undergoing bone marrow transplantation. In August of 2000, I joined the Neuro-Oncology Program, practicing primary nursing for adult patients with brain tumors. In my role as Program Nurse, I provide teaching and care to patients and their families, including those who are receiving either standard or investigational treatments. I am co-leader of the brain tumor support group, and I coordinate and present the weekly multi-disciplinary brain tumor board for DFCC/BWH. I am a member of the Program Nurse Council, and the Captain’s Circle for annual Jimmy Fund walk as captain of “Team Neuro” supporting brain tumor research at Dana-Farber. I have been certified with the Oncology Nurse Credentialing Center since 1990, and am a member of the Oncology Nursing Society. I have co-authored several journal articles; the most recent publication was about safety concerns facing cognitively impaired brain tumor patients, published in the Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing.
Education and Training
Framingham Union Hospital School of Nursing
Oncology Certified Nurse, OCN, 1990
Registered Nurse, RN, 1986
- Doherty L, Gigas D.C, Kesari S, Drappatz J, Kim R, Zimmerman J, Ostrowsky L, Wen PY. Pilot Study of the combination of EGFR and mTOR Inhibitors in recurrent malignant gliomas. Neurology 2006;67;156-158.
- Quant, EC, Norden, AD, Drappatz, J, Muzikansky, A, Doherty, L, LaFrankie, D, Ciampa, A, Kesari, S, Wen, PW. Role of a Second chemotherapy in recurrent malignant glioma patients who progress on bevacizumab. Neuro-Oncology October 2009. 550-555
- Norden, AD, Drappatz, J, Ciampa, AS, Doherty, L, LaFrankie, D.C, Kesari, S, Wen, PY. Colon Perforation during antiangiogenic therapy for malignant glioma. Neuro-Oncology August 2009.
- Drappatz, J, Wong, ET, Schiff, D, Kesari, S, Batchelor, TT, Doherty, L, LaFrankie, D.C, Ramakrishna, N, Weiss, S, Smith, ST, Ciampa, A, Zimmerman, J, Ostrowsky, L, David, K, Norden, A, Barron, L, Sceppa, S, Black PM, Wen PY. A Pilot Safety Study of Lenalidomide and Radiotherapy for Patients with Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme. International Journal of Radiation Oncology. January 2009 73(1): 222-7.
- Doherty, L, LaFrankie, D.C. Patient Safety Concerns for Cognitively Impaired Patients with Brain Tumors. Clinical Journal Of Oncology Nursing February 2010 14:1 (101-102).