Donna L. Berry, PhD, RN, AOCN, FAAN
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
450 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
I completed my undergraduate education at Baylor University and hold graduate degrees from the University of Texas at Houston and the University of Washington. My commitment to improving care of the person with cancer has spanned over three decades, beginning with my work as an oncology staff nurse and continuing with my mentorship activities and current leadership in designing, implementing, evaluating, and teaching patient-centered oncology practices. My scholarship has been presented locally, nationally and internationally and published in nursing, medical and interdisciplinary journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine. I am often asked to speak and contribute in international venues, notably Switzerland, Korea, Hong Kong and Japan. Recently at the University of Washington, I mentored clinicians and students from several disciplines and of all levels. I held a clinical appointment as the first Nurse Researcher at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.
I have pioneered in two important areas: patient-centered oncology care and nursing leadership within oncology research. To implement my patient-centered care paradigm, I formulated an interdisciplinary team and then led that team to successfully design and implement accessible, computerized tools to assess symptom experiences and quality of life variables. I led another large, multi-disciplinary team to develop, produce and test the first and only Internet intervention based on personal factors to support treatment decision-making by men with prostate cancer. Recognized by nomination to and election to Fellowship in the American Academy of Nursing, I have assumed increasing leadership and responsibility for transforming health care. As director of the DFCI Cantor Center, these responsibilities will be achieved in oncology nursing.
Education and Training
Baylor University (BSN), 1978
University of Texas, Houston, TX (MSN), 1981
University of Washington, Seattle, WA (PhD Nursing Science), 1992
Texas RN Licensure (inactive), 1978
Washington RN Licensure, 1987
Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse (AOCN), 2001
- Dean's Colloquium, University of Massachusetts-Worcester, 2009
- Keynote address at 10th National Cancer Nursing Research Conference, Orlando, 2009
- Distinguished Researcher Award, University of Washington School of Nursing, 2008
- Oncology Nursing Society Excellence in Nursing Informatics Award, 2006
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2005
- Commencement Speaker, University of Washington, Bothell, 2003
- Myrene C. McAninch Term Professor, University of Washington School of Nursing, 2003
- Petrylak, D., Tangen, C., Hussain, M., Lara, P., Jones, J., Taplin, M., Burch, P, Berry, D., Moinpour, C., et al. (2004) Comparison of docetaxel and estramustine with mitoxantrone and prednisone for metastatic androgen-independent prostate cancer. New Engl J Med, 351, 1513-20.
- Berry, DL, Moinpour, CM, Pauler Ankerst, D, Jiang, CS, Petrylak, DP, Vinson, LV, Lara, PN, Lanier, S, Taplin, ME, Burch, PA, Hussain, MHA and Crawford, ED. (2006) Quality of life and pain in advanced stage prostate cancer: results of a Southwest Oncology Group randomized trial comparing Docetaxel/estramustine to Mitoxantrone/prednisone. J Clin Oncology, 24(18):2828-35.
- Berry, DL, Ellis, WJ, Russell, KJ, Blasko, JC, Bush, N. Blumenstein, BA, Lange, PH. Factors That Predict Treatment Choice and Satisfaction with the Decision in Men with Localized Prostate Cancer. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer 2006; 5: 219-226.
- Wolpin, S., Berry, D., Austin-Seymour, M., Bush, N., Fann, J., Halpenny, B., Lober, W. Acceptability of an electronic self report assessment program for patients with cancer. Comput Inform Nurs, 2008, 26(6)332-8.
- Berry D, Halpenny B, Fann JR, Bush N, Lober WB, Wolpin. Electronic Self-Report Assessment for Cancer (ESRA-C): Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial. In: American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting. Chicago; 2008:207.
- Fann, JR, Berry, DL, Austin-Seymour, M, Bush N, Halpenny, B, Lober, WB, McCorkle, R, Wolpin, S. Depression screening using the patient health questionnaire-9 administered on a touch screen computer. Psychooncology, 2009: 18(1): 14-22.
- Tariman JD, Berry DL, Cochrane B, Doorenbos A, Schepp K. Preferred and actual participation roles during health care decision making in persons with cancer: a systematic review. Ann Oncol. 2009 Nov 25. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19940010
- Jaja, C, Wolpin, S, Perez-Avila, J, Berry D. Usability Evaluation of the Community Use Interactive Personal Patient Profile - Prostate (P4) Decision Support System with African American Men: A Think-Aloud Study. J Natl Med Assoc. 2010;102(4), 290-7. PMID: 20437736
- Demiris G, Parker Oliver D, Washington K, Thomas Fruehling L, Haggarty-Robbins D, Doorenbos A, Wechkin H, Berry D. A Problem Solving Intervention for Hospice Caregivers: A Pilot Study. J Pall Med (In press, accepted 3/10).
- Allen JD, Othus MKD, Hart A Jr., Li Y, Berry D, Bowen D. A randomized trial of computer-tailor decision aid to improve prostate cancer screening: Results from the Take the Wheel Trial. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, (In press, accepted 6/10).